I am a collector of books. I am one of those rare breeds who NEVER turned in a college textbook. I kept ’em all. As for diet, nutrition and cookbooks…I have a copious collection of delight. I am a tough critic when it comes to cookbooks. When I see even one ridiculous, unnecessary ingredient, like margarine…I cringe. I thought it would be super neat to share with all of you my favorite authors of health-related books or cookbooks. The first 3 authors are my essential heroes. My entire practice has evolved as a result of these men.
Please kindly leave a comment below this post to let me know your thoughts. Also, I would love it if you would share your favorite health-related authors.
1. Dr. Howard Loomis – Without question, Dr. Loomis has professionally influenced me more than any other person, period. His work in plant-based enzyme nutrition has changed my career and significantly contributed to my success in practice. I highly recommend his book ‘Enzymes:The Key To Health’. Who knew this very book I purchased 6 years ago would be so critical in my ability to help others.
2. Herbert Shelton – Dr. Shelton is a master of fasting. I mean the REAL fasting. This book is a mini-textbook into the amazing healing benefits fasting delivers. I personally fast EVERY year for at least 8 days. If you are at all interested in learning more from this wonderful pioneer, pick up ANYTHING he has written and you will certainly learn so much. My favorite book of his is ‘Fasting Can Save Your Life
3. John Robbins – While attending Life University in the mid 1990’s, we were introduced to the book: Diet For A New America. John Robbins is the author and because of his skillful and emotionally-charged material, I INSTANTLY became a vegetarian on the spot and remained a strict vegetarian for the following 9 years. His book absolutely influenced the dietary choices I make today. What is most striking, is that he would have been the heir to the Baskin Robbins ice cream empire, he passed. A true renegade.
4. David Wolfe – The energy and delivery of quality material is never lost with David. He is authentic, refreshing, and engaging. If you are at all interested in deliciously raw foods, and so much more, David will not disappoint. I also love David because we have a similar hair style.
5. Kris Carr – Kris’ book ‘Crazy Sexy Kitchen‘ is absolutlely gorgeous! Yes, gorgeous. The design of the book is so fun and entertaining. Not to be outdone by the esthetics of her own book, Kris Carr is a gem. A dynamo. She is a cancer survivor who understands the implications diet plays in the healing and recovery process of the body. I dig her energy and charm. The recipes are TOTALLY delicious and easy to whip up. She provides a warm and comforting splash of reason to the area of health and wellness.
6. Joel Fuhrman – Joel has also had his finger on the pulse of exciting and interesting wellness topics. I have had more patients mention his work than any other author. Joel is an avid writer. There are PLENTY of books from which to choose. We are very fortunate to have so many of his masterpieces.
7. William Davis – Ahhh. Wheat Belly. What a book. I loved this book. There is so much history behind wheat. Before you put that donut or bagel in your mouth, you ought to consider reviewing ‘Wheat Belly’ first. This is another book that is on the minds of many of my patients. It comes highly recommended from so many. I couldn’t agree more.
I hope you enjoyed my list of the Top 7 Must-Read Authors. Please comment below and share this post to help get these authors even more attention. They deserve it.